Friday, September 14, 2007

Flimsy

What effect does it have on the way we value objects to put our hearts into flimsy or short-lived products that necessarily break or go obsolete?

I know the I have had my heart broken a couple of times by indurable objects. Loving my 12" powerbook, and then killing it with apple juices makes me much less inclined to love its successor, cause I feel like it's just going to break anyway. Treasuring a pair of glasses that I found at the flea market, only to drop one in the sink while washing it, and break it, makes me shy away from it's twin, I avoid using it cause I feel like it's going to break if I do. In addition, every time I see it my heart breaks a little cause I know I am just going to accidentally break it anyway, while pulling something else out of the cupboard, or if one of my roommates decides to use it. My iPod, which I loved and paid a lot of money for 2 years ago, that is now about 5 generations behind, and not nearly as beautiful as the new ones, also the fact that it crashed, and I can't afford to repair it. Makes me much more careful about buying a new one, it'll just go obsolete in the end anyway. I suppose the effect that flimsy objects have had on me is that it's becoming harder for me to put my heart into objects made of glass or technology, I love them, but I know that I can't have them forever. It's almost like be married to someone with cancer, it's great, but you know it's going to end, and you'll have to keep on living without them.

No comments: